|Mouth full of food illustration|
A home for the mentally disabled was slapped with a lawsuit after it allegedly allowed one of its patients to eat himself to death, according to court proceedings in Israel.
The lawsuit against the home was filed this week with the Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court.
The lawsuit named the institution and the Ministry of Welfare as defendants. The lawsuit was filed by the brother of the man, who was hospitalized and later died after choking on food.
The victim suffered from a rare disease that caused him to swallow food without chewing. He was ordered to be under 24 hour surveillance.
One day, the man was left alone in a room with several slices of bread. When his caretaker returned, the man was unconscious. He was rushed to a local hospital where he died after four days.
“There is no doubt that if the defendants carried out their duties carefully and skillfully, in accordance with procedures and accepted guidelines, the tragic and unnecessary death could have been avoided,” the lawsuit alleges.